Last Updated on August 17, 2026
Summary✨
- Ncell shut down of 3G network at over 200 sites across various districts in Nepal, starting on Bhadra 01, 2083 (August 17, 2026), to focus on newer technologies.
- The shutdown aims to enhance 4G service quality and efficiency, as the demand for modern smartphones grows while also considering future plans for 5G.
- Ncell will close 3G gradually, considering customer impact and increasing the needs of VoLTE users.
- Most devices support 4G, and only a few users rely on 3G, minimizing service disruptions due to the shutdown.
- Ncell encourages the use of VoLTE for voice calls and offers 4G coverage to most users.
In March 2025, Ncell announced that it would shut down its 3G network. Since then, the company first discontinued its 3G network in 3 districts- Jhapa, Dhankuta, and Tehrathum. Now it says 3G shutdown will go ahead at 200+ sites in the country from Bhadra 01, 2083 (August 17, 2026), adding local levels in Gandaki and Far West (Sudurpashchim) provinces too. The move allows it to focus more on newer technologies and higher efficiency.
The telco said that it will shut down the legacy network at various local levels in different districts in Koshi, Madhesh, Bagmati, Gandaki, Lumbini, Karnali, and Sudurpashchim provinces. The company has urged users to benefit from VoLTE at the same rate. In a notice, the company has urged users to benefit from Ncell VoLTE at the same call rates. The technology provides users with an HD voice call service while also allowing users to use data service while on a call.
“In line with our commitment to adopt new technologies and continuously improve the quality of service, we are gradually phasing out 3G. If we proceed as planned, we will be able to completely phase out 3G services by the first quarter of 2027,” said Lena Keshari Kansakar, Network Head, Ncell.
The development comes from Ncell as it plans to phase out its legacy network and work on improving its 4G service quality. Nepal Telecom (NTC) also announced its plan to close down 3G, but there is no disclosing of how many districts, unlike Ncell.

The speculations have long remained over the possible phase out of older mobile networks in Nepal. ✔️3G vs 2G: Which will shut down first in Nepal
With the rapid expansion of 4G, both Ncell and NT have shared plans to cut down on legacy networks. The move will allow Ncell to focus more on 4G expansion and improvement. Ncell has already started using 2100 MHz for 4G, so it can increase the resources in 4G by shutting down 3G in 2100MHz.
✅Reasons to quit 3G network in Nepal
Why Ncell 3G shutdown did not complete in 2025?
Ncell had a plan to turn off 3G completely in 2025. They also worked on it in several parts of the country, with careful attention not to impact customer experience. Now that the number of modern handsets (4G/5G) is increasing in the network and people are more attached to 4G, the company thought it would be easier to accomplish. But considering the possible impact of the shutdown on customers and the number of Ncell VoLTE users still not meeting the needs, Ncell now takes a gradual approach in the 3G sunset.
As announced on Magh 22, 2082 (Feb 5, 2026), Ncell completed the 3G shutdown in Jhapa, Dhankuta, and Tehrathum. As per Ncell, as a greater number of users will use modern smartphones (relying on 4G/5G) with higher VoLTE usage, the 3G sunset will ease. And in a few years’ time, they will even have to think of a 2G shutdown to 4G sunset as 5G will inevitably be the dominant network providing faster data and efficient voice services.
Having said that, it is not only the duty of telcos to elevate customer experience and be efficient by sunsetting a technology, but also of the country or the regulator. The regulator or the country itself can facilitate on many fronts to help the telcos achieve the target. One of them would be banning the import of 2G, 3G (non-VoLTE) phones to Nepal. Find out why it is important for telcos to stop the import of non-VoLTE phones in Nepal.
But as mentioned above, Ncell has officially said its 3G phase out will complete by the first quarter of 2027.
Will you be affected by the 3G network shutdown of Ncell?
As Ncell plans to close down its 3G network, there is a concern that it will affect users. But it’s less likely. Most devices these days come with 4G support, and Ncell has its 4G coverage across about 95% of the population. Also, since Ncell is only pulling the plug on 3G, users will still have 2G for voice. Therefore, Ncell’s killing off 3G may not adversely hurt your services, unless you have a 3G-only phone and stick with it for high-speed data. According to NTA, the company only has 90,671 users on the 3G network, which further backs up the idea that closing down the 3G network won’t affect many users. The data also highlights the growing irrelevance of this older-generation technology.
The telco says that its 3G users represent only 0.7%. It also states that 86% of its subscribers have 4G supporting devices, which is helpful for users’ activation of the VoLTE service.
Now the gist is, you can use Ncell VoLTE for voice. Additionally, there’s Ncell VoWiFi to make calls using a WiFi network. So, not having a 3G option for voice won’t create a huge issue. As for broadband, there’s 4G at most Ncell sites. You can activate the service by dialing *123*11# on your phone, but of course, you need a 4G handset. Most smartphone users have a 4G handset these days anyway.

Ncell has shut down 3G in these areas
Here is the list of all the local levels in different provinces where Ncell has shut down its 3G network.
1. Koshi Province
- Udayapur District: Triyuga, Chaudandigadhi, Belaka, and Katari
- Sankhuwasabha District: Chainpur, Khandbari, and Dharmadevi
- Dhankuta District: All local levels (including Pakhribas and Sangurigadhi)
- Bhojpur District: Tyamkemaiyung, Arun, and other local levels
- Jhapa District: All local levels
- Tehrathum District: All local levels
- Ilam District: Deumai, Fakfokthum, Ilam, Mai, Maijogmai, Rong, Suryodaya, and other local levels
- Panchthar District: Phalelung, Phalgunanda, Kummayak, Miklajung, Phidim, and other local levels
2. Madhesh Province
- Saptari District: Saptakoshi and Kanchanrup
- Parsa District: Bahudarmai, Birgunj, Chhipaharmai, Dhobini, Jagarnathpur, Jirabhawani, Kalikamai, Parsagadhi, Pokhariya, Sakhuwa Prasauni, Thori, and other local levels
3. Bagmati Province
- Makwanpur District: Hetauda, Bakaiya, Manahari, and Raksirang
4. Gandaki Province
- Gorkha District: Gorkha, Aarughat, Shahid Lakhan, Bhimsen Thapa, and Dharche
- Lamjung District: Marsyangdi, Dudh Pokhari, Dordi, Rainas, and Besishahar, etc.
5. Lumbini Province
- Rukum East District: Sisne and Bhume
- Rolpa District: Thawang, Gangadeva, and other areas
- Dang District: Ghorahi, Babai, Shantinagar, Tulsipur, Lamahi, and other local levels
- Bardiya District: Rajapur, Barbardiya, Thakurbaba, Madhuwan, Gulariya, and Geruwa
- Palpa District: Tansen, Mathagadhi, Bagnaskali, Nisdi, Rampur, Tinau, Rambha, and Purba Khola
- Arghakhanchi District: Shitaganga
6. Karnali Province
- Rukum West District: Chaurjahari, Musikot, and Triveni
- Salyan District: Sharada, Chhatreshwari, Bagchaur, and other local levels
7. Sudurpashchim Province
- Kailali District: Tikapur, Bardagoriya, Ghodaghodi, Mohanyal, Lamkichuha, Bhajani, Janaki, and Joshipur
Do you think Ncell’s effort to shut down the 3G network is the right step? Drop your opinion in our comment section below.
FAQs on Ncell 3G shutdown progress
Ncell is shutting down its 3G network to focus more on improving and expanding its 4G services, increasing network efficiency, and supporting newer technologies such as VoLTE and future 5G services. Also, the company says that its 4G coverage has reached 95% of population already.
Ncell shuts down its 3G network at 200 sites across the country on August 17, 2026 (Bhadra 01, 2083).
As of updating this post on August 16, 2026, Ncell has completed the 3G shutdown in various local levels in different districts in five provinces except Gandaki and Far-West.
Most users are unlikely to be affected because the majority of smartphones support 4G, Ncell’s 4G network covers around 95% of the population, and users can still use 2G for voice calls.
Users can use Ncell VoLTE for HD voice calls and Ncell VoWiFi for calling over WiFi networks. For mobile internet, users can continue using Ncell’s 4G service on compatible devices.










